25/10/2008

angels, eagles and flamingos - stress


We've done a bit of work on the different stress in nouns and verbs with the same spelling. Here are some more examples. Usually (although there are some exceptions), the stress of a verb is on the last syllable, and that of a noun is on the first syllable. Make sure you pronounce the words out loud.

to susPECT: to believe that someone is guilty
SUSpect: a person under suspicion

to preSENT: to give, to introduce
a PREsent: a gift

to contract, a contract
to convert, a convert
to convict, a convict
to insult, an insult
to project, a project
to protest, a protest
to rebel, a rebel

Can you make up a few sentences that include some of these words?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Ana for your song!
I like it a lot!
You make me a happy day with this song!!
Thank you very much!
=)

Anonymous said...

ok Ana, Here are my sentences:
- Police suspected the old man wasn't telling the truth
- Suspect will have a just judge
- I would like to present my best friend
- My parents gave me a marvellous present my last birthday
- I have to contract somebody for making bills of my company
- Jim singed his contract yesterday
- This building was converted in a nice hotel by a tourism chain
- A convert is a person who change their believes
- He was convited of murder
- A convict is the person who stay in a jail
- You are insulting me if you say that
- They were exchanging insults when they went a tv programme
- Tree's shadows was projected through the windows
- Steven Spielberg is working in a new project
- Puppils protest against the new rules to value their knowledges
- There were a lot of people in the protest
- I have to rebel against the injustice
- There are a lot of rebels in the jungle in South America

I suppose I have made a lot of mistakes, Could you correct me?

Tank you very much!

Ana Franco Cottle said...

Very good examples, Ruth. I appreciate your effort.

Just a few comments.
- a person who changeS, a person who stayS
-a person ... changes his/her belieFS
- the shadow of the tree
-... is working ON
- knowledge is uncountable (no S)